Wednesday 27 May 2020

workplace evening, May 2020



Grid drawings made over the course of the last few days. I have worked intensely upon these drawings for a number of days, but am without warning plunged into doubt and insecurity; are these careful drawings just a  means of passing the time, a kind of therapy without artistic merit, or are they drawings to be taken seriously? I cannot decide, and am somewhat cast down, so take my wavering self into the garden where the sight of the ox -eye daisies, just now at full pelt takes my breath away; they are exquisely beautiful and so generous in their beauty. I am restored to myself; resolve to put aside the grid drawings for the present, and begin a long series of works for which I have made some preparatory drawings, namely a series of drawings of British birds eggs. I have a couple of old books illustrating bird's eggs, but according to a dear friend, L, the best book to be had is the Eyewitness Guide, published by Dorling Kindersley. I am also seeking papers on which to draw, and she sends me links to an Art Supplier who carry Japanese and Chinese papers.

Resolve, newly awakened and made keen, is a wonderful restorative. I hasten indoors, where I clear my drawing board, put away the grid drawings, and find my books of bird's eggs, promising myself to order the papers on the morrow, and perhaps to order the Eyewitness Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment