Friday 29 May 2020

studio evening May 28 2020



My place of work on the evening of a day of warmth towards the end of May. This month has seen day upon day of gloriously fine weather.The evenings have been particularly beautiful, calm and filled with birdsong; the bees working the cotoneaster outside the sitting room window do not leave their labours until late, so can be heard humming throughout the evening hours.

On my drawing board lie drawings made of eggs; the lower image showing 'looking glass' eggs, that is, drawings made of decorated eggs, drawn from my imagination, inspired by the oriental glass egg which can be seen gleaming softly in the tranquil evening light. I am looking forward to making further drawings of decorated eggs; eggs with landscapes drawn upon the surface, when I receive the Japanese papers, as the lokta paper, which I am using at present, is too soft; the fibres easily disturbed. It is good to have these drawings to work on, however, whilst I await the arrival of the Japanese paper and the Eyewitness Handbook; I am also moved to procure some plain wooden eggs to draw upon, having first rendered the surface with gesso. I would love to try silverpoint, but will begin with graphite and colour pencil; after all, the decorated eggs may not be as I wish them to be!

These small drawings, despite the fragile surface of the lokta paper, give me much pleasure to make, and I am reminded of the delight I have in Japanese cups and saucers, particularly those with delicate little landscapes painted thereon . I remember wishing to make a series of photographs entlitled, 'mountains, lakes and little houses', the series documenting the painted cups and saucers I have in my possession; I suppose I could yet fulfill that desire.For now, however, I shall refrain and direct my attentions towards the drawings, it is enough to fill my workplace with frail, small drawings, a plethora of 'painted' eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment