Thursday 28 May 2020

studio afternoon May 28 2020



My workplace on a breezy, sunlit afternoon in May. We are experiencing a run of fair weather; the days are akin to Summer days, and our little garden is burgeoning with new growth. As mentioned previously, the ox-eye daisies are at full throttle; a mound of snowy white blooms massed over the path. Buttercups and pink campion, the elegant  lustred bells of the tall campanular we brought from the lodge in Hampshire, columbine and thick grasses; all are flourishing and gladden my heart when I sit out in the garden.

I am restless, about to begin new work, awaiting the arrival of the Japanese papers and the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guide. There are preparations to be made; tracings of the outlines of birds eggs as depicted in my old books- I can at least make a beginning, although the 'collection' of tracings will not be completed until I have in my possession the Eyewitness Guide.

Small pieces of tissue paper to make tracings of the eggs are needed, so, under the supervision of our gentle tabby cat, I begin to tear down large sheets of tissue. It feels good to be making these preparations, and although I am a trifle fidgety, it is the positive restlessness I experience just before embarking upon a new series of drawings.

Do I need new pencils? Choosing and purchasing new pencils is one of life's pleasures. One of the preparations I shall make is to sort through my pencils and select 'egg' pencils; subtle ochres, velvety browns, greeny blues and ink blacks. As I sit to make this post in my partner's little study at the back of the house, I can hear the flutey sounds of a blackbird in the garden; it seems most appropriate to be about to embark upon a series of drawings of eggs at this time of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment