Sunday 10 May 2020

studio morning May 10 2020



My place of work on a blowy morning. I have made a return to the tiny star drawings, and felt the need to experiment with crumbled pencil sharpenings as I used in the stardust drawings. The paper is Daler Rowney Murano, which has a fine and stable surface, without the inconsistencies of the Lokta paper, which I find, nevertheless, so beautiful. It is more suitable for detail work precisely because of that reason.One can achieve fine precision when applying the tiniest of white marks to denote the stars.

It is a Sunday. Sounds of our neighbours busy in their gardens drift through the open windows. It is difficult to believe that there is anything wrong, yet we are well into lockdown and as yet there is no prospect of change. I remain unconvinced about the purchase of the stencils which I mentioned in an earlier post, and so continue to make work as I did before the beginning of this period of restriction. The difference is a slight, but gnawing feeling of unease with regard to my work. Should I be responding to the current global situation, and if so, how? I feel it encumbant upon me to do so, yet I cannot conceive of a way forward. I am in danger of losing my way, stumbling through the 'forest dark', having unwittingly strayed from the straight forward path once more. I tremble at the prospect, remembering just how difficult were those seven years during which I could make no work. This is a time of profound doubt and apprehension, yet there is consolation to be found; if I cannot draw, at least I shall be able to write, I know that from experience. This online diary may well become my mainstay.

No comments:

Post a Comment