Saturday 25 April 2020

the transit of Mercury











One of several series of drawings depicting the transits of Mercury and Venus across the face of the sun. This particular series was made in April 2018;almost exactly two years ago. The tiny black disc of Mercury can just be seen making it's way across the greater disc of the sun, from left to right, following a curved trajectory. I am not sure when this celestial event took place, as my source did not indicate, but I do know that such a transit is rare enough, and to me, a tremendous event.

I was able to colour in to my heart's content, enjoying the laying down of first spectrum orange, then yellow, then 'apricot' , before adding a rim of  red to deliniate the sun's outer edge, or 'limb'. The placing of the sooty black , tiny disc depicting the transitting planet caused me much deliberation and I took great pains in my application of the waxy tip of the pencil to paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment