Sunday 26 April 2020

remnants










Supernovae remnant drawings, as before made on black Lokta paper; this time on half a sheet, so the drawings are larger. They were made by sprinkling pencil sharpenings over the paper, then easing the coloured dust into the surface with my fingers before adding the stars. A return to a technique used before in making the drawings of clouds, so there is a definite affinity with  the earlier drawings. These drawings were made at the tail end of 2019, and the beginning of 2020, so that they are relatively new.

As I write, it is a perfect April day, full of birdsong. It is difficult to believe that we are in the middle of a pandemic which has obviously impacted hugely upon our lives. At this time, work is a solace; I find comfort in revisiting this online diary, and in taking photographs of work made during the four years in which this diary was silent, and, to all intents and purposes, abandoned. I have come to realise, over the course of the quiet, restricted time in which we live at present, that I, too, need periods of silence, of withdrawal; time in order to let ideas settle in my mind, to evaluate work made and find the straightforward path once more; the path upon which I now tread.

No comments:

Post a Comment