Sunday 19 April 2020

lunar







One of a series of twenty eight drawings documenting the phases of the moon; this drawing is round about half way. I began working on this series in the latter part of 2017, as far as I remember; I did not date them, only numbered them.

My partner found a moon calendar for the month of February 2011, the month of my father's death. My father loved the moon, although during his last days he found it's presence in the sky less of a comfort than had hitherto been the case.

This series is not taken from that calender, but I do have a copy, and fully intend to make another series of the phases of the moon using it for reference and dedicating the series to my father.

These drawings are made on black Lokta paper, as are the stardust drawings. It is soft and thin, only 30gsm. It often has inclusions of coloured threads and is textured, as may be seen from the photograph. It is irregular in size with four delicate deckle edges, being made completely by hand. I love it, love the jet sheen of the surface, it's fragility, it's inconsistencies, love the knowledge that it is a sustainable, indeed under utilised, source of material, and that it's production provides employment for otherwise extremely poor Nepalese women.

No comments:

Post a Comment