Friday 20 November 2020

somewhere out there


 

Not Nepalese Lokta paper this time, but a paper handmade in a small mill in Montreal and obtainable through a London stockist. Old Master 'Crowsnest' is a sooty black and made to a seventeenth century recipe using sisal, cotton offcuts and waste from the fashion industry; an old recipe made modern. The paper has a fine tooth and readily accepts detail, which the Lokta paper does not, so the touching of a needle sharp white pencil point to the surface leaves a minute white mark. These drawings take days to make and the making of them is an absorbing, calming process; I realise that when I first sit down to my task, I am holding my breath, which, after a few marks have been made, I gradually and consciously expel from my lungs with a sense of release. Thus open to the Universe, I can begin. 

I work right up to the edge of the paper, which has four lovely deckled edges, so that the entire sheet of paper is covered with tiny points of light , or stars. My starfields are imaginary; it's just possible that the configurations of stars and star clusters that I draw have their place in the actual heavens. When I am drawing, I think of the little girl that I was, on that evening when my father and I stood and looked up at the star filled canopy above us, and I had my first taste of infinity. The star drawings, which have the collective title,'somewhere out there', and form an ongoing series, are thus dedicated to my father. It is my hope that he would have liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment