Monday 25 February 2013

sabbatical

I am on leave, have decided to cease from all attempts at creating drawings, or indeed any work at all, for the time being. I am hoping that this period of respite will enable the eventual return of my abilities and skills which have departed from me as if on a migratory path. Having recently made several abortive attempts at drawing cloud formations, I find myself not only woefully out of practise, which state of affairs could, I suppose, be remedied, but wholly disinclined to undertake the endeavour. I simply do not wish to make drawings of clouds, or anything else at present, my desire has flown along with any skills that I may have possessed. I have not emerged from Dante's "forest dark", and must yet be patient.

Hence my decision to formalise the arrangement; to designate this empty period a sabbatical, thereby effecting a release from the self imposed pressure to make drawings, and instead to fill those hours previously beguiled by making  drawings, in research, in reading the books that I have always intended to read, but never have, in attempting a more formal account of my ongoing struggle with depressive illness, in the hope that one day the work may be published for the benefit of those others, who like myself wrestle with the forces of darkness, and who have lost the "straight foreward pathway".

No comments:

Post a Comment