Friday 29 January 2010

Winter rainbow II

This drawing is entitled Winter rainbow II, and was begun at the same time as Winter rainbow I, but finished several months later in the early part of 2009. My concerns remained the same, the use of the symbol of the rainbow to give shape to my experience of clinical depression, but whereas Winter rainbow I is bleak and raw, Winter rainbow II is softer. I wanted to take the image of the rainbow, and suggest something other than hope, which is why the images are clouded, obscured or rendered almost brutally.
For many months I was unable to draw anything other than the obscured rainbows, and I drew those almost obsessively, anxious at first that they might appear naive, or eccentric, and then beginning to accept them as unexpected, odd expressions of a troubled mental landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment